Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Twins Birth Story

Well, the twins have arrived!  They have been with us now for nine weeks...and time is flying by! Here is how they got here...I will post again with how things are going (or this would be WAY longer!! LOL).  :)

On Friday, June 7, I went into labor. I was 35 weeks on the dot. It was totally unexpected, and that evening my contractions were five minutes apart and lasting 40 seconds.  I was not supposed to have a natural birth (I had to have a C-section), so the doctor told us to go on in to L&D. 

We arrived at L&D and they hooked me up to the monitors (something that I was very familiar with, as this was my fourth or fifth time in L&D for preterm labor), and the first nurse came in to check me.  For some weird reason, she couldn't find my cervix to check it (like it could possibly be in another location...I was seriously concerned that she was considered an L&D nurse when she couldn't find something so basic) and had to go and get the charge nurse to check my progression.  I was 90% effaced and not dilated.  So what do they tell me?  Pack up and go home until I dilate. Excuse me?  I informed them that that would not be the exit that they would be using, and so what did it matter if I was dilated or not?  Still, they packed me up and shipped me out.  I went home and labored for the rest of the weekend, something that was utterly miserable. 

Monday rolled around, finally. My son's school was opening that day, and there was no way I was going to miss it. I went with him and took him to his new classroom, and after I saw that he was happily settled in his room with his friends and teacher, we went off to go and see my OB.  I was feeling horrible, not having slept for three days and completely at my wits end.  She went and checked me, too, and found that I was still only 90% effaced and not dilated, but she did notice that my little boy had shifted his head.  Instead of pressing down, he was now pressing out on my previous C-section scar.  Considering I had been contracting all weekend, she was worried now that I would rupture soon with everything thinning.  So off I went again back to L&D to have my babies.

Back in L&D, I was hooked back up to the monitors and given an IV with fluids to try to slow the contractions while the team for the birth was assembled.  I got in one last (in my opinion, horrible) picture before they were born:

At 5pm, I walked back to the freezing OR.  Two doctors, 12 nurses (six for each baby), and one anesthesiologist greeted me as I padded my way in in my bright yellow "fall risk" hospital socks.  The anesthesiologist prepped me and gave me my spinal, which was not a fun experience.  For some reason, as soon as the drugs hit my system, I had a massive panic attack.  I suddenly felt claustrophobic and was freaking out on the anesthesiologist, who was very calm and was able calm me down as well.  And once I was calm, the meds eased up and I felt TONS better.  It was the first time in MONTHS that I had no pain, no pressure, and it felt AMAZING!!  Suddenly, I wanted to sleep.  Why? Because I could.  And could do it comfortably.  I knew somewhere in the back of my mind that if I did sleep, I'd miss the birth of my babies--the last babies I would be having--and almost was ok with that. :) I was SO tired!! But I fought sleep and listened to everyone assemble and begin the surgery.  Then time sped up, and before I knew it, I heard my baby boy crying. :) They cleaned him off and wrapped him up, and brought him to my hubby.  Dan tried to show me my baby, but I couldn't see over the blankets.  Two minutes later, my baby girl came out, fighting the doctors the whole way.  I actually got to see her, and touch her little face.  Baby Elliott was 5lbs 6oz and 18" long, and baby Audrey was 5lbs 11oz and 18.75" long.  Both babies were big for being 35 week twins, something that I was incredibly thankful for.

Audrey on left, Elliott on right.


That would be the last time I saw them for five hours...

They finished the surgery (including my tubal), and wheeled me back to my room.  The boob-Nazi, I mean, lactation consultant, almost immediately came in and shoved a breast pump at me.  Now, I am all for breastfeeding (and do so now), but geez, give me a minute to recover!! Dan came back to tell me that the babies were in the NICU and things weren't looking too good.  So now I was freaked out, and I had a very pushy woman telling me I needed to strap on my pump and get going to try to get my milk to come in.  I got her out of my room, and then was able to find out what was going on with my twins. Elliott's lungs were retracting.  He was on oxygen, an IV, having his glucose monitored, had to have an NG tube, jaundiced, and needed to learn to hold his body temp.  Audrey had aspirated blood when she came out, and they were not sure if it was mine or hers, so she was being monitored as well.  It took five hours, but they decided that they needed a higher level NICU, and just before they were transferred I got to really see them for the first time.  But I didn't get to touch.  As scared as I was, I knew the hospital they were going to, and I would be transferred with them the next morning.

Tuesday morning at 10am, the ambulance came for me.  I finished up the paperwork on their names and all of my transfer paperwork, then was loaded up and shipped to the other hospital in the next city.  It was the same hospital my firstborn was sent to after he was born, and where he spent 9 days in their NICU.  I was shocked that they were in the same bay of the NICU that Zachary was in, and even more shocked that they were in the same slot that he had been in as well (mind you, this NICU is HUGE...the odds are just astounding that they would end up in that slot!)! It was very emotional for me.  I finally got to hold my baby girl, but only got to touch my baby boy (they didn't want me to take him out of the incubator).  I was happy anyway, since I had already missed being with them for the first 17 hours of their outside life.  I was also happy to be in the same hospital, and my room was at the end of the hall by the NICU--the closest room to the NICU that they had (I loved the admission nurse for that).  Tuesday night I was able to hold my baby boy for the first time, and that just made my day.  Life was going great!

I stayed in the hospital until Friday as a patient.  All day and night, I would spend as much time as I could in the NICU, only going to my room to eat the occasional meal, get my meds, pump, take a quick shower, or a quick nap.  I was walking as much as I could to help the recovery process, and it was painful.  But I needed to get better as fast as I could.  Friday night I was discharged, but since I lived over 25 miles from the hospital and had my babies in the NICU, I was able to get a room downstairs in the Ronald McDonald Charity Family Rooms.  It was a huge lifesaver!!  I was able to stay close to my babies, and it was a room that was free of charge.  I am forever thankful to them and my caseworker that allowed for me to stay.  :)  I stayed until my baby girl was discharged the following Wednesday (on day 9), and then she and I went home.  We drove to the hospital daily to be with our baby boy, each taking turns watching Audrey while the other got a few hours with Elliott.  Despite the doctor's estimate that he would be there until my original due date (July 12, making him be there almost 5 weeks), our little superman was out on day 14! 


Elliott in the NICU


Audrey in the NICU


Elliott and Audrey in the NICU


Audrey and Elliott coming home <3
 
Now our family is happy, healthy, and complete....and all under one roof!!
 

The proud big brother!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment