Monday, April 30, 2012

Early Mommy's Day Present

So this weekend, hubby was allowed out of his quarantine upstairs.  He's finally on the tail end of his cold, and little guy is about halfway through his antibiotics for his double ear infection.  I can't wait for that to be done...the antibiotics are causing bad diapers and now a rash.  :(
We did manage to get out this weekend.  We went to the store to get some more plants for my garden--we got watermelon, honeydew melon, pineapple basil, and a jalepeno plant--and then stop to visit my parents.  Got everything planted, a few tomatoes staked, and got to pick my first (non-insect ridden) tomato! Plus, a huge, previously unidentified squash-type plant finally started producing produce--and it is zucchini.  :)  Yay!

But the big news came after I had taken care of and expanded my garden.  An idea had planted itself in my head awhile back (<---like what I did there??  Planted...garden...hahaha!!), and I hadn't been able to uproot (LOL!!) it since.  So I asked for my Mother's Day present yesterday.  I called around to a few places in town and found a place that carried what I was looking for.  I told DH what I was wanting, and after Z took his nap, we set off to the store.  Which store?  The feed store.  Why?  Chicks, of course! 

That's right...I've decided to further my little "farm" by adding farm animals.  Three adorable little chicks are now part of our family!!






I've only named one of them--the yellow one.  Her name is Annie.  Why?  Because it was the first thing that popped into my head when I found out that she is an Orpington chicken.  Little Orpington Annie.  Haha!!  I am on a roll!!  The yellow/black/brown one is a silky chicken (she has feathers down her legs), and the bigger black/white/grey one is Plymouth Rock chicken.  All girls. 

So next for us to do is build a coop and a run for them to live in when they get a little older.  Right now they are housed in Z's play yard (we detached only four panels to make a square pen) in the garage.  We do have owls and hawks out here, so I don't want them out in the open just yet.  

Does anyone have ideas for a chicken coop?  I know we are most likely going to make our own, but I am also thinking of things that we can use to repurpose them.  Suggestions? Feel free to comment!  I would love to hear ideas!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment