Thursday, October 11, 2012

Testing a Pin--Green Onions

It's no secret to those around me that I have a bit of an addiction to that heaven-sent website, Pinterest.  I'm trying to get my mom interested, as there are a lot of things that I know would inspire her do or make things that she would find.  I'm jjust going to have to make time to teach her the joys of Pinterest! :)

Before my in-laws moved here at the end of last month, I wanted to learn some Korean recipes (my mother-in-law is Korean) to show that not only I can cook (and do it well!!), but also that the traditional recipes can be made gluten free and taste just as wonderful as it's gluten-laden counterparts.

One of the recipes I wanted to tackle was the green onion pancakes...it looked good, easy to make, and I knew that they would love it.  However, in the whirlwind that accompanies the purchase of a home, paperwork, me suddenly going in for surgery and a toddler--well, things fall to the wayside.  The pancakes were forgotten, and more "normal" meals were made since they were easy to do on the cuff.

After they went home to pack, I was going through my fridge for ingredients to make dinner when I ran across the poor, withered green onions I had bought to make those pancakes.  I almost threw them out.  But then I remembered a pin that I had seen earlier about green onions--and how to make them a perpetual crop just by putting the white ends (the green chopped off) in some water.  Wow!  Maybe I had been the only person who never knew this, but I quickly chopped off the withered greens and plunked those little bulbs in a glass of water on my window sill.  A few days later...

 And now a week later....

 
Ready for harvesting!! 
 
 
And according to the comments and other posters, this can be done over and over again!  Now to attempt the pancakes...and will update if the recipe works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment