Saturday, October 27, 2012

Mud Factor 2012


A few months ago, Groupon offered a great deal of a bit over half off to participate in a 5K mud obstacle race called "Mud Factor."  It looked AWESOME, and like it would be tons of fun, so I convinced not only my hubby to sign up, but my dad signed up with us, too.  :)  I was so excited!

A lot happens in a few months time, however.  Unfortunately for this race, my cancer surgery disqualified me from participating this year.  Dad and hubby were not too excited about it starting a week before, as a cold front was going to push through our area the day before and drop the temps from the 80s down to the 50s.  Not a fun thing when it is cold and you have to slog through mud.  We all decided that we were still going to go, and Dad and hubby were going to brave the elements.  Then fate butted in again and hubby had to stay home to take care of our little boy, who unfortunately is in the throes of a nasty stomach bug (that, of course, began at 1:15am).  It was down to me and my dad, and he was having second thoughts. 

We arrived just as the temperature reached a brisk 50 degrees--Dad refused to race if it was below that (and I don't blame him--the wind was frigid!!).  We paid for our parking--something that I think was unnecessary--and then made the LONG hike to the check-in tent.  Despite me not racing, I still had to sign my waiver to get my bandana and t-shirt (but I did manage to get hubby's shirt without the waiver).  Then came a long wait.  So we milled about, and Dad decided he wanted to run in the heat before the one we registered for.  Unfortunately, that was brought to a halt when we figured out that each heat had a designated color on the bib.  Ours was pink, meaning the 11am heat.  Still, a great color--especially for this month!!  :)

As soon as they were letting people in for the 11am heat, Dad ran to the front.  He looked so excited--it was hard not to be excited with him!

Dad and I before the race

Dad waving before they began

Contdown complete, off they go!

I love my dad--he can be goofy!!  Coming around the first corner!

End of the race--going down the slide!

It was a long slide...

Soaking wet out of the pond, Dad still smiling!

Yay!!  He did it!!  25 minutes, 30 seconds!
 
 
It turned out to be a lot of fun--for both of us--despite the chilly air.  I hope that I can run in the next one!!  I don't want to miss out!! 
 
Congrats, Dad!!  You are amazing!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for making me sound like Superman, but, I wanted to show life doesn't end at 60. Lots of fun. Not a true race, just a survival obstacle course. I still wanted to jog it as quickly as I could, mostly to generate some body heat... I hope to do it again when the event returns.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete