Monday, March 19, 2012

My Favorite Gluten-Free Dish This Week: Polenta Pizza Casserole

When I first started on this gluten-free lifestyle, I was terrified that I was doomed to having boring or terrible tasting food.  But after doing more research, I realized that I was quite wrong.  Yes, there are foods that I can't eat anymore, but a lot of the things that can be substituted are just as good (if not better!).  The only down side for me is that there are a lot of dishes that use rice...and I do NOT like rice.  However, I am learning to ease that back into my diet and hopefully I won't mind too much soon.  :)

Today's dish is one of my main go-to dishes.  It's quick and easy, and I usually have all the ingredients on hand (or at least something to use in place of one thing or another).  Here it is...my recipe for Polenta Pizza Casserole!


Polenta Pizza Casserole

1-18oz roll of precooked polenta
2-3 Tbsp. water
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 can mushrooms, drained*
1 can black olives, sliced and drained*
2c. shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Crumble up polenta in a medium size microwave safe bowl.  Microwave the polenta for 20-30 seconds until it is warm and mashes more easily.  Add the 2-3 Tbsp of water, however much it takes to make a fairly smooth consistency (but still thick!).  Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, black olives, and 1c. of the cheese.  Mix well.  Put polenta mixture into an 8x8 baking dish, and top with remaining cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted and bubbly.  Enjoy!!

*Note: You can use whatever veggies or meat that you prefer.  We just seem to always have these ingredients on hand, as we do love our mushrooms and olives in our house!  I do want to try it with fresh spinach sometime...if you do, let me know how it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment