Monday, March 19, 2012

St. Patricks Super Secret Date Night

I love surprises...but hate keeping the secret! I have been wanting to do somthing special for my hubby for awhile, but wanted it to be a surprise.  I am horrible at making things a surprise (that's why all holidays and birthdays tend to be early in our house!), and always end up being too excited to keep it secret that I spoil it every time.  Or my hubby guesses it.  He's really good about that, too!

A few weeks ago, I decided I wanted to have a date night.  We don't get to do much outside of the house without little Z with us, and it takes a bit of planning to make sure he is cared for if we do decide to have a night out.  I remembered us talking about how it would be fun to go and see a murder mystery on a train at one point, and so I started looking to see if the train in our area happens to do such a show.  Surprise!  They do!  And there were three possible times--on on St. Patricks Day (at the time, two weeks away), one in late June, and one in late July.  I was so excited that one was happening right around the corner...but the tickets weren't on sale yet.  That was fine; I still needed to arrange for childcare, and a few other details. 

The next week, they still weren't on sale.  I wanted to order them (my parents were babysitting, and they wanted to know for sure we were going out since they had back up plans), and also check to see if I could bring my own food.  The tickets included dinner and drinks--a choice of sandwich, a cookie, and wine/beer/soda/water.  I couldn't have the food offered, and on other train rides they allow you to bring your own food.  I just hoped that it would apply this time!  I found the email address of the person in charge of reservations, and they promptly replied saying that it would be fine for me to do so since it was a special circumstance (I just couldn't bring my own alcohol, which was fine). 

Tickets booked, childcare secured. Now was the hard part--keeping the secret!  And I am happy to report, I did keep the secret--up until we got into the car and I had to tell him where to drive to.  :)



The date was wonderful.  We got to the train, found our seats, and were off 10 minutes later.  I opted for the car with air conditioning--down here in Texas, it was a warm 82 degrees and I wasn't going to spend three hours in a hot train car! 




I thought it was so cute and old fashioned that the attendant came by and punched our tickets, too!



Now, getting pictures of all the players as they were acting was very difficult.  They moved quickly and the only place to stand to get pictures was in the bar--and that wasn't allowed.  :(  But they were all great--except the one gal that kept rubbing up on my husband.  She did it to another married man, and the wife almost came unglued.  That actress stopped rubbing up on men after that!

I was able to eat my gluten-free dinner (chicken and egg salad, and a Larabar for dessert), have some wine (not good at all--but tolerable with a Sprite chaser), and spend some quality time with my DH.  The murder mystery was fun, but I wish I had paid more attention--we were supposed to fill out "crime reports" so that when the mystery was over, the person with the most accurate guess would get a prize! Turns out the lady behind me had really paid close attention and hit the nail on the head.  She even figured out that the names of the two killers were anagrams for the last name of their father who committed suicide because of the man that they killed! We decided that next time we will not only take notes, but see if others want to come along with us and make it a group date.  :)

All in all, it was a success as a surprise and a date.  I can't wait to plan the next one!  Or maybe DH should... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment