Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Smoothies, my new "soda"

Since our family is trying to have a healthier lifestyle, we have made the decision to cut soda out oaf our diet. It is something that I have done before; when I was pregnant, I pretty much drank nothing but water, and that was all I wanted. But as soon as I could have it again, I hopped right back on the soda bandwagon. Honestly, I drank more after I started it again, and almost completely stopped drinking water. Now, that is changing. I'm happy to say that I am down to one soda per day. :)

What has eased my sweet tooth craving for soda has been smoothies, and it has been a wonderful change!! We had picked up a bag of of Yoplait Smoothies at Costco a few weeks ago, and I had forgotten about them til I cleaned out the freezer the other day. On a whim, I decided to make a batch--figured it would be a nice treat in the 80 degree weather we are having, and I knew Z would enjoy it as well (plus it would help him with his teething--bonus!!). Out came the new blender, and I threw in some extra strawberries for good measure. So good!! Z was happy and feeling better with the cold drink, and my sweet tooth was very satisfied. It was super easy, too...just dump the packet of fruit in the blender, add milk, and give it a whirl! And now, I bought some fresh fruit to freeze myself to save some money making it on my own. :)

So, if you are looking to make one on your own without using a premade packet, then this is how to do it:
My Smoothie Recipe
1 banana, in pieces (frozen)
1 c. chopped strawberries (frozen)
1 c. blueberries (frozen)
1c.-1.5c. Milk (depending on preference--add more milk if you like it less thick)

Add fruit into a blender, pour in milk. Pulse blades until mostly smooth, and then blend for 45 seconds longer until completely smooth. Pour into glasses and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment